We are all lawyers who are also business people. Each of us has started businesses—law firms, internet companies, investment companies, and others. Each of us has held key executive positions in enterprises with nine and ten digit revenues. And each of us continues to invest in, manage and operate businesses alongside our law practice—in real estate, telecommunications, clean technology, natural resource management and development, heavy equipment, and others. We use that experience to counsel businesses as they confront their life cycle decisions, opportunities, and crises—business formation, financing, market launch, operations, dispute resolution, investments, acquisitions, mergers, sale, and liquidation. The founders of Ascent Law Partners have handled hundreds of these matters over the last three decades.
- Deep experience and relationships in Alaska, especially in working with Alaska Native Corporations
- Deep experience working with entrepreneurs and innovative start-up companies
- Years of deal experience across a broad spectrum of industries (such as solid waste and recycling, infrastructure, environmental services, oil field services, telecommunications, manufacturing, professional services, food processing, contracting, real estate, natural resource development, clean technology, and alternative energy.)
- Operating and investment experience from previous business roles held by individual partners
- Regional focus, but with nationwide reach and experience
- Strong affiliation with VanNess Feldman, a national leader in strategic business advice, legislative and policy advocacy, legal and regulatory compliance counsel, representation in administrative proceedings and litigation, and support for project development, permitting, and transactions in the inter-related areas of energy, the environment, natural resources, public lands, real estate, health care, land use, and infrastructure.
Values and Goals:
- Pragmatic and common sense approach borne from years of our personal business, investment, and management experience
- Trusted advisors and sounding boards for both business and legal issues
- Flexibility to continue pursuit of business investments alongside the practice of law
- Keep the relationship light in terms of obligations, but create good opportunities to collaborate